Tuesday, August 10, 2010

No Sleep for the Not So Weary

So here it is, 4:10 a.m. on a Tuesday morning and I have been awake for about an hour.  I fell asleep in my son's bed, who had heard bumps in the night around midnight, and when I climbed back into my own delicious bed, I just lay there and my brain wouldn't turn off.  I decided to say a prayer but the next thing I knew, my brain was wide awake and rambling all over the place.  I gave it another few minutes, but figured online I must go.

Straight to Facebook.  Checked out the profiles of some newly added friends from my old job and other places.  Went to Farmville.  Upgraded my house and took care of some of my animals.  Back to Facebook and checked out who might be awake at this time.  Found a friend from San Diego who moved back to Germany up and online.  We IM'd a bit and got caught up, shared a little gossip and love between us. 

Then I figured I should blog a new post as it's been awhile.  Here's what's going on in my life.  Tomorrow my son's friend, S.R. will arrive to stay with us for 5 days.  Yes, 5 days.  He is a cute kid (10 years old) and I look forward to it.  He is more adventurous than my son and having them together is good for mine.  Next week I fly to N. Calif. to spend time with my Aunt.  I'm sure I will have something to share about that when I return!  She is one of the most interesting (read Dramatic) people I know.  We haven't had any girly time together in awhile.  It will be good to catch up.  When I return, I will have 1 day off (which already has a bbq penciled in) then off to my new job.  Well, my old job (Library Tech) at a new school.  Back to Middle School.  For awhile I was sad to leave my old site, but now the adventure beckons and I look forward to it.

Last Friday, my son and I watched "Where the Wild Things Are", the full-length movie.  It wasn't what I was expecting.  Well, to be honest, I didn't know what to expect.  When a movie that lasts an hour and a half is based on a 12ish page book, who knows where it will go?  My son and I gave the movie a thumbs down.  "I can't believe this is so dark!" was my 9-year-old's comment again and again.  Yes indeed, it was dark.  Now the book itself is about a little boy who is wild and hyper and gets in trouble with mom, goes to bed without supper, and dreams of sailing away to an island of "wild things" where he is proclaims himself king.  They have some rumpus's (a real word?  I think not!), then he misses home, climbs back into the boat (against the wishes of the wild ones) and sails back home to find supper waiting for him in his room.  My son never liked the book.  Maybe it was the crazy eyes of the Wild Things.  Not sure.  We kept the book around because 1) I love it and 2) my hubby has thought about getting Max and the Wild Things tattooed (with Max holding a microphone and being thrown up in the air by the crowd of adoring Wild Things).  In the movie, however, Max is a lonely, ADHD-ridden child of divorced parents.  We never find out what happened to dad.  Mom is at work all day.  Sis is a teenager and doesn't have time or compassion for her little bro.  Mom has a date over for dinner, Max acts up, they get into it.  Max bites mom, Max runs away.  He runs down to a boat and takes off.  My mom radar was in overdrive by this point.  My son can act a bit wild at times, especially in situations where I will be embarrassed by it.  Then the boy runs off???  My mama instincts wouldn't rest until he was finally home.  The Wild Things on the island were unbelievably dysfunctional.  They build and then smash things.  They are jealous of each other and any outside friendships.  They throw dirt clods at each other and ignore each other's feelings.  Wow.  At one point, Jake and I agreed that we needed something "light and happy" to watch after the movie was over.  (Spongebob did the trick!)  Finally Max returns home, after being found out as a fraud (he had said he was king for other's before getting to the island), and mom is so very relieved to see him and feeds him chocolate cake.  The soundtrack is pretty crazy.  I might have to check it out.  Lots of kids singing and screaming. 

Other movies I have seen which have been made from short, children's classics are "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" and "The Polar Express" and "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas".  I will say that I found all of them to be a disappointment.  Filmmakers who want to mess with a good thing would do better than to fluff up the story with a bunch of emotionally draining or silly filler.  On a different level, but along the same lines, I just heard that there is a movie being made based on the "Battleship" game.  Really?  Seriously?  What's next?  Monopoly?  Life?  Chutes and Ladders?  Whatever.

Ok.  Done with this particular rant.  Guess I will climb back in bed and read a bit.  Or maybe I will watch a movie.  :)

Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to post a comment? Click here.