Thursday, January 13, 2011

Just One of Those Days

I don't have a lot of patience today.  I stayed up until midnight both last night and the one before, trudging through an online driving course, repentance for a ticket I got last July while zipping down a hill in my Aunt's fun convertible.  I got the test done in time, just barely, but being sleep deprived makes me cranky. 

As we were getting ready for school this morning, I mentioned to our son that "today felt like a good day to play hooky."  My son needed an explanation.  After he understood the concept, he fully agreed.  We persevered, however, and got out of the house with minutes to spare. 

My morning routine at school is arrive around 8, turn on the lights and computers in the library, start the water for my herbal tea, visit the restroom and grab a cup of coffee from the counselor's office.  (Yes, I have coffee and tea and also have a bottle of water at the ready.  I am high maintenance, but self-sufficient.  :)  )

I got to work this morning and heard a lot of kids' voices from inside the library.  Oh oh.  I don't schedule any classes until after 8 and it wasn't yet even 2 minutes after.  I walked in the unlocked door and found about 8 students, sitting in the semi-darkness, logged onto our slow computers.  They were overflow from the computer lab down the hall.   Great.  Just great. 

One of the students is a TA (teacher's aide) of mine and since she was the "expert" in the place and didn't feel it was inappropriate for them to stay with no adult present, they stayed.  I wasn't so happy to see them.  Immediately I was inundated with requests and complaints about the slow computers.  I wasn't ready to hear any of it.  I set my stuff down and gathered my cool.  Next thing you know, about 5 more students show up to get a library book.  My circulation computer wasn't even on yet.  Come on, guys!  Then the phone rang.  The office secretary wants to know if I am in so she can send some students over.  Sure!  Why not?!?

You remember that face Calvin gets in that famous comic strip when things aren't going his way?  Usually there's a discontented shimmer hanging over his head as well.  I had all that going on.  Next thing I know, one of the more "pesky" of the students is rummaging in the little kitchenette and found my chocolate rice crispy treat.  He got it from me with both barrels.  My tactic with middle-school students is to embarrass them into doing what I want.  I asked him in front of the crowd if it was appropriate for him to be going through my things.  How would he feel if I came over to his house and went through his cabinets?  Sheesh.  I went even further, pointing out to him (and everyone else)  that his class had been in the day before and when they left, my one-and-only soup spoon was missing and a bite had been taken out of my apple.  (Interestingly enough, when I went to heat up my lunch later today, my spoon was found in the microwave where it had DEFINITELY not been before.  I guess my tirade paid off.)

So.  Things eventually settled down and I was able to go to the restroom and make my tea.  Instinct had told me earlier in the day that I wouldn't be getting coffee from the counseling office, so I had stopped into 7-11 and had a lovely, tall, sweet cup to sip off of all day long.  The day brightened and flew by. 

After work, I met up with the notary in a local parking lot so she could witness me taking my driving school test and put her official stamp on it.  In the store, bamboo wind-chimes were on sale for half price.  There are some family birthdays coming up, so I picked up three.  I hung them in the back of the truck and had fun driving with a little more gas at take-off and stopping a tiny bit more forcefully than usual, just to hear them express themselves.  It put a smile on my face.  After getting J from school, we got some take-out.  I snapped a pretty sunset picture with my camera phone.  It was on a very busy street above the local Fresh and Easy store, but I was able to angle it up enough so that the beauty could show through. 

The day's not over yet.  Gotta straighten the house and pay some bills, get the kid into the shower and into bed.  That's ok.  My lounge clothes are on and my shoes are off.  My belly is content with greek chicken salad.  All is well in my world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to post a comment? Click here.