Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Those Darn Chick Flicks

Ok.  I have to admit it.  Sometimes nothing will do but to watch one of those darn chick flicks.  Those feelings of hope and sweetness sweep through you when you watch stuff like "Steel Magnolias" or "An Affair to Remember".  I go for months without watching one of those "feel good" movies, but a few weeks ago, I stopped by a yardsale that was selling about 100 DVDs for a buck each.  I scored 12.  Most of those acquisitions were ones I like to watch by myself and my guy would never in a million years pick, but I also bought "Good Fellas" and "The Lord of the Rings", which can make you feel good too, but for different reasons.

A few days ago I found myself all by myself in the mountains.  My family had gone off to play in the snow and I was more than content to stay behind.  I popped in one of my recent scores and watched "Ghost".  I am embarrassed to mention how many times I teared up during that cheesy movie.  It didn't help that my wedding song, "Unchained Melody" gets played about 3 times during the story about the lovers who are separated by death.  I have seen the parody of the sexy pottery wheel scene, but my brain was able to push that memory aside and enjoy the sexiness of Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze together.  They show just enough and not too much.  I like it when my imagination fills in the blanks.



Tonight I watched an even sweeter (and less sappy movie), "Serendipity".  I had seen it a long time ago and simply loved it.  When I saw it sealed and for a buck, I had snatched it up at that amazing sale.  John Cusack (whom I find an utterly adorable cupcake) plays Jonathan, who meets cute Sara (Kate Beckinsale) "accidentally" at Bloomingdale's one Christmas season when they both reach for the last pair of black cashmere gloves.  It is kismet.  Attraction at first sight.  Unfortunately, they are both in relationships, but they end up spending a few hours together anyway.  She buys him a coffee to repay him for letting her buy the gloves and he takes her skating.  She is determined to leave to fate any chance of them being right for each other, so she writes her name and phone number in a book and says she is going to sell it to a used bookstore.  She has him write his name and number on a $5 bill and then spends it to get it into circulation.  She says that if he is able to find the book or she the money, fate has spoken.  He isn't convinced.  They then go to the Waldorf-Astoria and both take separate elevators.  If they both pick the same floor, then fate has intervened even quicker.  They do indeed pick the same floor, but a dorky little kid pushes all the buttons in Jonathan's elevator and he just misses her.  Five years pass and the star-crossed lovers are both engaged to someone else.  I was just about to spoil what happens next, but love the movie too much to do so, and want you to check it out for yourself, if you're so inclined.  It's beautiful.  Maybe I'll even let you come on over and watch with me. 

One of my favorite lines in the movie is spoken by Jonathan's best friend.  He says, "You know the Greeks didn't write obituaries. They only asked one question after a man died: 'Did he have passion?'".   Amen.  This movie is all about passion.  And fate.  And taking chances.  Check it out. Thanks for listening.


3 comments:

  1. I love love love Serendipity. Maybe I'm not supposed to say that as a guy, but I've grown tired of action movies in my old age.
    Now it's drama's and romantic comedys. I'm always surprised how few people have seen Serendipity. Notting Hill and The Holiday are a couple of other faves.

    Chris Preitauer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean Jude! As I age I find these movies very touching and sweet. I tend to find them in the afternoon and record them by myself at night or on a lazy afternoon. I just recently watched ghost again and I loved Serendipity! I also loved Nottinghill and The Holiday which I totally loved. There are hunderds of them now and I find them to be happily calming and optomistic. Just a shot in the arm of what I need in this crazy world. I was thinking last night it is time to watch the Princess Bride again. Another few of my favorites are Under the Tuscan Sun, The Notebook, The Time Travelers Wife, The Red Violin and the new Eat, Pray, Love. This might sound extremely corny but I have been recording Masterpiece theater on Sundays. Showing my age eh? tee hee!! Love these blogs my friend and a chance to see inside your head. I miss that. Lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might find this article interesting: http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2011/02/10/what-s-the-smartest-rom-com-of-the-past-25-years.aspx

    There were some really good movies on that list. Good movies, rising well above their genre. (500) Days of Summer was quite good, had a great soundtrack, and was kind of a love letter to downtown LA architecture. I also really liked Next Stop Wonderland. And Before Sunrise is also a really great film in its own right (though I'm not sure if it's got enough comedy to qualify for this particular list).

    A criminally unknown romcom/80s teen movie is Some Girls. About 10 years ago, I had a roommate who'd had it on VHS. I'd never heard of it when it came out ('89) and I've never known anyone else to have heard of it, even though it had a few big names (Patrick Dempsey, Jennifer Connelly, Andre Gregory). But it's very good and you should see it.

    ReplyDelete

Want to post a comment? Click here.