Saturday, February 9, 2013

Ah . . . the Music . . .



Do you remember the first time you heard a certain song?  The way it ran through you and changed you at the deepest level?  It's amazing how this happens and how we never forget.

When I was in the third grade, I first heard "I Love Rock and Roll" by Joan and the Blackhearts.  It was played on a classroom record player and I was stopped in my tracks.  I didn't necessarily love it at first hearing, but I hadn't known music like that existed.  Her hoarse vocals and the pissed energy was a life-changer for me.  Luckily, this song is still played often and each time I catch it on the radio, I am again about 9 years old, feeling uncomfortable because I had transferred to a new school mid-year and was still feeling out of place.  Joan Jett gives me courage and a bit of the "f*** it" mentality that allows me to put on a brave face and go forth into the unknown.

Joan Jett rockin' a set in Norway in the 80's.
U2's "New Year's Day" caught me by the boo-boo when I was about 11 and I have been a fan ever since.  I was in my pink and green "big girl" bedroom in our house on Sierra Vista in Alhambra and it came on the radio.  I was again rendered motionless as I soaked it in.  I couldn't believe music could make me feel this way.  I still love the song and the way it makes me feel.

In case you have a hankering to hear the song for yourself, here's a link to the original video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2966y_u2-new-years-day_music#.URaxox1EQa8


For the past few days, I have been cranking the Styx's greatest hits album on my iPod, much to the discomfort of our 12 year old son.  "Is that a GUY singing?"  he keeps asking?  Yup.  Sure is.  How can I explain the experience I had when I was young, of being the only one on the set of mechanical swings at the "Play Days" carnival which I went to annually in Monterey Park.   It was twilight, still one of the most magical times of day for me, and the ride operator let me have an extra long ride because there was no one in line. "Mr. Roboto" was blaring through those huge ride speakers and I flew through the pulsating sound, an experience seared into my consciousness. I still feel the thrill and the wind and the excitement of a moment in time when I felt fully alive.

I was re-introduced to Styx when baking an all-nighter at Coco's in Rancho Cucamonga.  (Which is also when I became a Metallica fan.)  I can't remember if the head baker popped in a CD or a cassette, but it kept the energy up and later that week I purchased the CD myself.  It's now on my iPod and I can listen to it whenever/wherever I want.





"What's up with the retro weekend, mom?"  Just because, son, just because.  One day you'll understand and the music playing on and around you will take you back to your own memories and I hope they're as good as mine.



                                                                                                          Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to post a comment? Click here.