Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hammock Therapy

So I bought a hammock about 6 years ago with birthday money. It is one of the rope kinds on a metal stand. We were pretty into it for awhile, and two of my brothers have slept on it. But for the past few years, it has just been moved around the yard and not really utilized. A few weeks ago, on a Monday afternoon, I was feeling a bit frazzled and emotionally overwhelmed due to an extremely busy weekend. I had about an hour before it was time to get dressed for yoga, and the hammock had been calling to me. Weird, since it has been around for so long, but not so strange, considering I am getting more in-tuned with my inner self these days.

I grabbed a couple of sheets, my eye-pillow and this really cool pillow my Aunt Ruth had made especially for the hammock and headed out. I laid the first sheet down, climbed on, covered myself with the other sheet and put on my eye-pillow.

The world of stress slowly dissapparated.

I was now involved in a world of bird song, cars driving by, my dog panting, the wind rustling through the grapefruit tree overhead. Bliss.

Wind has always been my element of choice. I am forever in awe of its power. It rocked me gently and sang me a sweet song. I felt shielded from passersby, thus not self-conscious in the least.

I had set my phone alarm so I wouldn't miss yoga. By the time it rang, it was as if I had pressed reset on my nerves.

Since then, I am no longer a stranger to Hammock Therapy. I have added a blanket to the pile of necessities, as the wind chills me down after awhile.

Erik's been sick for a few days and today when I got home, I could feel the stress emanating off of him. I decided it was time he experienced the bliss and healing of just chilling out and letting the wind carry away any current mood he was feeling. He obliged. It was lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to post a comment? Click here.