Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day part 2



Off to Oceanside. First stop . . . In-N-Out, where I knew two of the patrons as students from the school where I work. The place was was packed. Nothing like pink lemonade and a burger.

Next stop, Home Depot. The only 5-gallon buckets available were in Home-Depot-Bright-Orange, and I got 6 of them. Next in the cart went 2 huge bags of soil. I also allowed Jake to pick out a carniverous plant, which he has been asking for for awhile. He chose a Venus Flytrap, who is now named "Seymore". Lettuce plants were "out of season" (?!?) and the low, plastic box-type planter I wanted for them was $16. Wasn't going for it. (Did I mention I like to shop for deals?) E mentioned that he thought we might have lettuce seeds at home, so I let that idea go for awhile (and he was right). Throw in a bag of vegetable food and a bottle of Round-up and we were set.

Off to the beach.

It was overcast and windy. Rain had sprinkled on the way over, but wasn't doing so now. We were amazed by the huge flocks of seagulls and couldn't wait to feed them. Jake had grabbed his Dragon kite as we were leaving the house, so we picked a spot where we weren't too close to anyone. After laying down a sheet on the sand, Jake and I started throwing bread.

It was surreal.

Hundreds of birds cawing and squaking and flying really close to us. I heard Erik behind me mention that he had seen a movie about this. (Flashback to the first time I saw Hitchcock's "The Birds", I was 10 and hospitalized for pnemonia. It was showing on the tv set bolted high on the wall. I was the only one in the room and watched it, mesmorized and creeped out. I have been an avid Hitchcock fan ever since.)

Once the bread was gone (and we were mercilessly un-pooped-upon), it was time for the kite. Jake and Erik put in some really good effort, despite the kite's weight and the ebb and flow of the wind factor. At one point, Jake was running down the beach, kite in the air and following him; narrowly missing another kite and the life guard tower. I was content to sit/lay on the sheet and zone out on the sound of the ocean. We decided that next time we should bring all our kites. (We have about 6 and this is the first time we have taken any of them out. Thanks, Jake!)

I never did get my feet wet.

Next stop, the coffee shop for some brew and a cocoa for the boy. His was covered with chocolate whipped cream and chocolate shavings. He was stingy about sharing a taste with his dad and then spilled a bunch of it down his shirt. We discussed karma.

At about 5 p.m. we were home again. Jake went next door to hang out with our dear friend, Jim (aka Mijee). He kept the boy occupied while we went out for dinner at Trupiano's. I had some champagne and we split a fabulous salad with artichoke hearts and feta, then I pigged out on a chicken and pasta dish with asparagus and garlic cream sauce. E went for a trio plate that turned into a duo since they were out of lasagna. We took home some Tiramisu to share in bed while watching the latest "Desperate Housewives". I shamefully admit to being hooked on the show and at one point Erik murmured, "Run, Linette" as the character was unknowingly caught in the house with the teenage killer. I smiled on the inside. My hard-a#$, punker hubby has been drawn into a nighttime soap. Don't tell anyone. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to post a comment? Click here.