Friday, June 11, 2010

Thrift Shop Junkie

I love to shop and I love to buy things cheap.  There's a song by Voodoo Glow Skulls called "Thrift Shop Junkie".  A few years ago, E introduced and dedicated the song to me.  Sometimes while perusing possible used treasures, it runs like a theme song through my brain.

Today I had a little time to kill (after getting my eyebrows done and while waiting for E to finish up work so we could "do lunch') so I visited the Brother Benecio Thrift Shop in Oceanside. 

I spent $25 bucks.  Bought a swimsuit (with the original tags still on) for $2.  Score!  Plus . . . it's Sparkly!

I also scored (off the dollar rack), a t-shirt with this funky chick surrounded by books.  It says "book woman" and if I am anything, it is a book woman!  (Got 3 new ones on grace and spirituality in the mail this week, plus bought the 2 Marvel graphic renditions of Stephen King's The Gunslinger at Barnes and Noble with giftcard money.) 

The one drawback to buying clothes at most thrift shops is that you usually can't try the items on.  I got an adorable red top with SNAPS (awesome), but the sleeves are a bit short.  A usual story for me.  It fits alright besides that, so I can wear it with the sleeves rolled up a little if it bugs.  I love the red, floral print.  E wasn't so excited about it, but I didn't expect him to be.  I like it . . .

I also bought two skirts.  The jean one is a bit tight but I can get away with it.  The long, black one will fit better when I lose a little of this amazing weight I seem to have embraced lately. 

As for the sundress, well, I wonder what I read when I thought the tag said it would fit me.  Not by a long shot.  Oh well.  It's washing up and I will scout around my skinny friends to see if any of them want it.

I bought about 10 paperback books.  Kid friendly.  I stashed some of them in a bag in my truck.  Tomorrow I will schlepping around 3 kids who will have been together for almost 24 hours.  If they start shining or bickering, I will toss the books at them.  A bit of diversion never hurt anyone.  I bought a few of the other books (including the ever-popular Twilight) in hopes that I will be working at the high school next year and can hold another BookSwap.  These will be gobbled up quick by the students if given the chance.

The last two things I bought were a small booklight (run on AA's, not those funky tiny batteries) and a big soup pot.  I walked away from the soup pot initially, but my impulse brought me back.  It was new and shiny and there were a few times these past months that I had wished I had another big pot to create yummy food in when my 2 big pots were busy.

Now to go through my closet and donate to our local thrift shop.  Gotta keep the stuff moving!  I read recently that my spirituality can be hindered by too many material goods.  I also read that if something can be lost in a sunk ship, it doesn't really belong to you.  I guess that would apply to pretty much everything I hold dear in my life.  Stuff to ponder.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to post a comment? Click here.