Wednesday, June 30, 2010

West Coast Girl Goes to Texas



Freshman year of college, I went to a small, Christian College here in Ca.  I was in an all-female, freshman choir.  It was the highlight of my year.  I didn't make a lot of friends in college, and kept in touch with only one.  A sweet Texas girl that I nicknamed Auntie Bin.  She and I bonded over stories about family and we really loved singing in the choir.   I saw her once, about 12 years ago, when she and her husband flew into L.A. from Texas for a family reunion.  Since then, we've sent a random letter back and forth and made a few phone calls.  With Facebook and websites and blogs, we managed to re-connect over the past few years.  Two weeks ago, out of the blue, she calls me and tells my voicemail that she has an offer "I can't refuse".  "Oh-oh", I think.  She's involved in a pyramid scheme and calling everyone she knows to join.  I steel my confrontation back-bone and smile a bracing smile and call her back.  Turns out, she has an extra ticket to see Sting in Houston and if I can get there, I can be her guest.  Wow.  Sting?  Love the man.  Go on a trip to see a girlfriend that I haven't hung out with since 1990?  Sounds like fun to me!  Financial questions came to mind, and although I immediately wanted to go, a big part of my brain was telling me, "No way, honey!"  I asked her to text me the dates and I would get back to her.  (I do hate to say "No" right away to something fun!)

I knew I had to make a decision quick.  If I wasn't going to go, she needed to place the ticket online to sell A.S.A.P.  I called her back and told her to say a prayer, but not to hold her breath.  She called me back a day or so later and offered me some money to help with the flight.  Wow.  What a generous spirit!  I had been hoping to go to Vegas with another girlfriend, but those plans had changed.  Looks like new plans might be in the works!  I venture up the courage to talk to E about it.  I tell him about her generous offer to help.  He looks skeptical (we have a houseboat trip coming up and a boat to tune-up in anticipation, etc.)  He tells me to check out flight prices and tells me what we can afford, even though he feels like it's a lot to go to a concert.  For me, however, it has become more than a concert.  It is an adventure, to be taken on my own, into the foreign land of big ole Texas.  I start pricing out flights.  I punch in the dates (leave on Thursday and come home on Monday) and pick the cheapest flight.  I hold my breath and punch in my credit card number.  I am filled with elation as I print out my flight info and e-mail the document to Bin.

A couple of days later, she texts me, saying that she was "surprised to see I was staying until mid-July"!  Holy-moley.  How did that happen???  I punched in the dates I wanted, picked the flight and wham.  Something screwy happened.  A common occurrence in my life.  No biggie, right?  Just call Expedia and explain what happened.  I did so and was told it would be about $250 to fix the mistake.  My heart broke.  I started crying on the phone.  The rep was sympathetic but couldn't do anything about it.  What followed was an intense battle between my mind and my heart.  My mind said to cancel the whole thing and suck it up like a big girl and live with the disappointment.  My heart said to go ahead and agree to the pay increase and pray for a miracle.  My heart won out.

I lay on my bed and sobbed like a baby.  Seriously, I was devastated.  I was pretty sure that I would have to cancel out of the whole thing and that E was going to be really pissed and Bin would be so disappointed and I really, really, really wanted to go.  My inner voice suggested I take 20 deep breaths and go ahead and ask for Divine Assistance and be ready to be grateful and ok with the outcome.  By about breath 17, a voice inside told me to call a family member, who did his best to help me.    He called and spoke to a rep and was told that there was nothing that could be done.  Later, E called them up and I was very glad I was not on the receiving end of those calls!  Anyway, it all worked out and through gifts of grace and faith, I was still on my way to Texas!!!
I drove to the San Diego airport early on Thursday morning.  Before I left, my son threw his arms around me and counted 1-5, all the days I would be gone.  I asked him for that many kisses to tide me over.  I found a park and ride and boarded my plane and was off to Houston. 


Bin met me at the airport at 7:45 Texas time and we went out for some grub.  Over the next 4 days, I was a grateful guest to some fabulous food and a wonderful hostess.  We laughed and laughed and laughed.  It was like we picked up our friendship like it was yesterday that we were sitting in my '76 Toyota Celica and sharing ourselves with each other.  Friday night we saw Sting play with the Royal Philharmonic.  The picture shows a bright light next to the screen.  That is the almost-full moon.  I got chills and knew all but one of the songs.  We held hands and texted our significant others about the tremendous time we were having.  My grin was huge and I felt so loved and lucky to be chillin in the heat of a Texas evening. 

We watched movies and ate and walked "Bella, the wonder dog" who is an adorable lab-mix pound pup on this amazing path that is right across the street from Bin's house.  Just past the path are beautiful trees and below them is a creek.  Halfway through the trip, E sent me a photo of Jake sportin a mohawk.  So this is what happens when mom is out of town for a few days, huh?  I showed Bin and she exclaimed, "Oh My!"  No biggie.  E has been talking to Jake about it for years.  He looked adorable and oh-so punkrock.  Too soon, it was time to go.  Bin had her son take a picture of us at the airport, as she showed off her gorgeous cowboy boots and I wore my Doc's.  Unfortunately, her son forgot to get our feet in the picture.  Oh well.  I had a marvelous time.  I was so pleased to be silly with my girlfriend.  We shared our hearts just like old times.  I had my grand adventure.  I have to say, however, that after a 3 hour delay in Phoenix, this girl was never so glad to embrace the 63-degree weather in gorgeous San Diego. 

Thanks for listenin', y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to post a comment? Click here.