Friday, July 9, 2010

Rachel Getting Married


I just love movies that pull me in with layers of interpersonal communication and drama, especially between family members.  If you are like me, and love to see people tick and how they react to what life offers them, you might enjoy this movie too.  I just watched "Rachel Getting Married" (thumbs up to Netflix instant view!) and it sucked me in from the start. 

Kim has just been released from a nine-month rehab program.  Her sister Rachel is getting married in a day or two.  Kim is jumpy and emotional, as is to be expected after being away from her family for so long.  Her addiction to drugs and alcohol has caused a lot of grief and tragedy in her family, which includes an emotionally-distant mother and a hovering, co-dependant father.  (They are divorced and with new partners).  Her baby brother is dead because of her.  She has no idea how to forgive herself or trust in a God who would let such a thing happen. 

I was humbled by the bond between the sisters.  Rachel is older and "has it together".  Soon to be a psychiatrist, she is marrying a lovely musician.  Although Rachel calls Kim out a number of times on Kim's need to be the center of attention and drama creating, she loves her dearly.  After Kim wrecks her dad's car and comes home on the day of the wedding battered and bruised with a black eye, Rachel tenderly bathes her.  I don't have sisters.  I could only watch it with an open heart. 

Pretty much the whole movie took place in the girls' dad's house, a beautiful, sprawling Connecticut dream.  It was full of people preparing for the wedding.  The groomsmen/band mates were all over the place, playing their tunes.  To be around that many people for days on end in one's own house is a foreign concept to me, but I found myself drawn to it. 

The wedding was gorgeous.  Multi-cultural and emotional, the love from the family and friends was flowing.  The party afterwards had  many layers of music and dancing.  I hope to attend one like it one day.

I was a little disappointed at the ending, as Kim packing her bags and driving off with her rehab counselor without saying goodbye to her dad was hard for me to bear.  I really felt for him.  He had been through so much and loved her without limits.
It's a long movie and drags a tiny bit, but is definitely one I'd see again. 

Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to post a comment? Click here.