Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Day 21: So I Went to a Wine Tasting Class Tonight . . .

Yes, I did.  Our band practice was postponed and Sal had been invited to a friend's house, at which she knew only the hostess.  The group was getting together for a wine class and tasting party.  Since I found my evening free, I offered to drive her and be her date.

I guess I like to put myself in the path of temptation just to see how I'll do, although I gotta admit, the past few days have been a bit of a challenge keeping myself on the course of all these good intentions.

The guests were very friendly and I wasn't asked too many questions about why I wasn't drinking.  I was grateful for this because it's kind of a long story and not one I necessarily needed to share with folks I had just met.

At one point I felt very high maintenance as I sipped my grapefruit juice, avoided the beautiful shrimp main dish (as I am allergic to shellfish), and eyeballed the bread.  (I have been eating very little gluten for the past year + on the advice of my Dr. and have been quite happy with the results.)  To not look like such a freak with only salad on my plate, I gave in and had some bread.  It was the super-tasty kind with jalapenos baked into the loaf.  I put some butter on it and enjoyed every bite.  I acknowledge that I'm a bit bloated from it, but give thanks that I avoid gluten for minor health reasons, as opposed to some who would have such dramatic reactions.

As we watched the video on the wines being offered and shown how to sniff them appropriately, Sal asked if I'd like to smell hers.  I teetered, but figured if those glasses were going to get that close to my mouth, all bets would be off.

The group has decided to meet once a month.  By the time I get back from my trip and their next gathering is booked, I'll probably be back to my usual drinking self.  I'll let you know how that goes.

I'd like to end this post with some tidbits from Sarah Ban Breathnach's "Simple Abundance" calendar. The days I missed reading due to the weekend away from work, where I keep it, were really good. You might like them too.  

March 8
Grace is available for each of us every day--our spiritual daily bread--but we've got to remember to ask for it with a grateful heart and try not to worry about whether there will be enough for tomorrow. There will be.

March 9
Simplicity gains importance in our lives as we begin to make peace with ourselves, and gradually come to the inner awareness that we don't need to gild the lily.  Some of the trappings can be relinquished because the Real Thing is finally ready to be revealed.

March 10
To undo the damage we have done by remaining dormant for years, we must reconnect with our authentic selves.  We must treat ourselves gently with the kindness we would bestow on amnesiacs who need the patient reassurance of their true identities.


Thanks for listening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to post a comment? Click here.