Sunday, March 8, 2015

Lent Day 19: My Gratitude List

Kinda melancholy today, off and on.  Felt a bit alone, even when around those I love and who love me.  I acknowledged these feelings and asked them what they wanted to express to me, like a sad child who just wants to be heard.  The feelings wanted more assurance that I am indeed a part of the Whole.  Yes indeedy. I Am, even when my humanness forgets.

Driving home from a wonderful evening with some of my closest friends, sisters really, I started mentally writing my gratitude list.  I've been keeping a gratitude journal for years, one of the many positive by-products of Simple Abundance, that amazing book by Sarah Ban Breathnach that I wrote about a few days ago.  Pretty much nightly I list 5+ things that I am grateful for.  Sometimes I'm in a funk and don't feel like it.  On those nights my list might look something like this:

1.  bed
2.  dogs
3.  food
4.  health
5.  books

On other nights, especially when I've really been paying attention during the day, my list will be longer and/or more detailed.  Becoming accustomed to the positive habit of gratitude has helped shape me.  I notice the little things a lot more than I used to.  I "snap out" of bad moods quicker and my life is constantly full of blessings. These gifts are like little wildflowers that grow in the cracks of the sidewalk. I am determined not to be an annoying Pollyanna, but seeing the world through the goggles of abundance is alot more fulfilling to me than seeing the glass half empty all the time. When I feel sad or stressed or fearful, usually I am still attuned to the positive stuff.  




So here's my list for tonight.

I am grateful for:
1.  my girlfriends.  what an honor to have them in my life.
2.  steak for dinner
3.  a loving and beautiful spiritual community/family
4.  being a sister
5.  my parents
6.  dogs
7. making it through day 19 of sobriety, even when tempted by martinis made with fresh-squeezed blood-orange juice
8.  divine and virgin margaritas
9.  being taught through another social gathering that I didn't need a drink or any other substance to make conversation or to feel comfortable
10.  being a mom (and finding out that my son wasn't necessarily in on some negative choices made today)
11. music in my car, even when, or especially when the songs strike an emo chord in me
12. the chance to see my Aunt and Uncle today
13.  "drop-in's" at friends' houses.  How lovely to always feel welcome there.
14.  a safe journey home
15.  positive responses to my blog and being told to "keep writing".

Ok. I will.

Thanks for listening and Good Night!!

2 comments:

  1. Your first paragraph struck me as a piece of poetry.

    Even though we're two different people in completely different parts of the world, there are feelings that are universal, neh?

    Your list is beautiful. Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peace and joy my Sister. Do keep writing. It is your calling.

    ReplyDelete

Want to post a comment? Click here.